Thursday, February 12, 2009

Super Magical Pillowcase Tutorial

The day I finally understood how to make a pillowcase using this method was a total revelation to me. It is so easy and it still feels magical after many a pillowcase. Some call it the tube method, some (somewhat crazy) people call it the sausage method. The magic of it is that you end up making the whole edge of the pillowcase with just one seam (the contasting end fabric, thin accent fabric, and the rest of the pillowcase fabric) and no raw edges showing. So then, you are just left with having to sew up the other two edges.

There are lots of pictures, so I made a pictobrowser for the tutorial. The "notes" on each picture contain the directions. You will need to hover your mouse over the little "notes" word on the pictobrowser below.  Also, you have to click on the number "2" to go to the additional photos/second half of the tutorial.


Get the flash player here: http://www.adobe.com/flashplayer

8 comments:

MelissaS said...

Now I don't have to find my crinkled piece of paper!

Anonymous said...

I am so in love with you!!! Oh my gosh!! You are AWESOME!!! (as my 3 year old would say:) I am a brand new sewer with no experience and 4 kids and a husband who works like crazy so I can be a stay at home mom. My dream is to take a sewing class, but right now there is just no time. My kids are 2, 3, 5 and 17. I have learned so many things from your blog and tutorials. Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful talent and your great ability to explain things so simply. I am hoping to get your book soon because I was looking at Flicker and saw the most adorable tote bag and then I saw it was from your book! I was so excited you would have thought it was my book:) Thanks again

Kate said...

Hi Stacie! Wow, thanks for the comment! You definitely have your hands full. Good luck with the sewing, feel free to email me if you ever have a question: katebrid at gmail dot com. I don't have a book, you must have gotten one of my pics mixed up with someone elses, maybe someday! sigh. :)

Anonymous said...

Sorry Kate. I confused you with Angry Chicken, which I link to from your blog. But EVERYTHING else was right. I have learned a lot from your blog. I am so grateful that you are willing to share your talent with us!

Kathy Bridges said...

Get on that book Kate in your spare time!!!!
Mom

Journeying Five said...

so fabolous to see how someone else does it. i had a notion to make pillowcases for my daughters for v-day and whipped them up just the other day and posted pics today! might try your way the next time i make some!

Erin said...

Thank you so much for your clear pictures and step by step instructions! I kept getting lost on all the other tutorials when it came to the "now roll up and sew" part...but you saved me! THANK YOU!!! :)

Kate said...

Hi Erin! Glad it helped, that's definitely the only somewhat "tricky" part. If you post pics anywhere online send me a link!