Tuesday, November 11, 2008

And So It Begins


The seven year old has been in craft heaven the last two days because Grammy got her a Janome Hello Kitty sewing machine for her birthday. She has had three "lessons" and rarely talks about anything else. The first thing she said at 6:30 Monday morning was, "Mom, I think today is a terrific day to learn how to sew" and the last thing she said to me when she went to bed tonight was "What are you going to teach me about sewing tomorrow?". So far she has practiced following a straight line and then following the line with the edge of her presser foot, she really has done much better than I thought she would. Today I did have to teach her one of the most important lessons in sewing... "When you start to get frustrated it is important to get up and walk away, then come back to it later". It's a lesson that I still have to remind myself of quite often. I have stopped hovering over her every second and am just letting her "go at it" as Melissa told me to today (so of course I will blame her if the child sews her fingers together). Her concentration is quite good, she didn't even stop sewing to ask me "are you taking pictures of me for your blog again?". Yep.

4 comments:

MelissaS said...

Yee Haw! Go Courtney Go! We're going to have to start reserving more rooms for out of town quilt shows. All we need now is a vodka/tonic tutorial for her and Lily and we've got it made in the shade!

Kathy Bridges said...

It is enough to bring tears to a Grammy's eyes! Another generation of fabric fondlers has been born.
the Grammy

Dionne said...

What wonderful pictures, and what a wonderful thing to share with her! Three generations of stichers, that is very heart-warming!

Deb Lacativa said...

Kinda makes me pine for granchildren.
It's a wonderful photo, moment and memory for all of you.