Friday, April 17, 2009

Quilt Festival


Around this time last year, I was totally green with envy that my mom was getting ready to jaunt off to Paducah for their annual quilt show without me, and so I hosted my own little quilt show. It just so happens that this year Amy over at Park City Girl is hosting a virtual quilt show asking people to post their favorite quilt. I have different quilts that are my favorite for all different reasons, but this one remains to be my all-time favorite because it is the one that first got me really excited about quilting and all the possibilites fabric as an art medium can hold.
I went through a major phase where I was obsessed with fabric folding. It sort of became a joke among my quilty friends because it was all I did or thought about. This quilt came out of that phase and I still love it. It hangs in my daughter's bedroom and I gaze at it from time to time and still wonder about the fact that it even exists. This quilt took a ton of focus, detrmination to make a design work, and is full of techniques that I learned just to make it and have probably since forgotten. It looks totally different in the changing light throughout the day and sometimes the batiks seem to just glow. This quilt will always be a symbol to me of my fascination with manipulating fabric and bringing to life something that has been knocking around in my head. Pics are from a few different angles to capture the variegated thread quilting and all those sequins I sewed on.

This year, instead of going to Paducah, my mom and aunt are hosting Quilt Camp to work on all the projects they bought at Paducah last year, and I'm thrilled to be able to go! It will be a great chance to get a lot of sewing and knitting done, something I haven't really had time to focus on lately. And there could possibly be the consumption of a few cocktails, you just never know what can happen when a bunch of wild quilters get together!

39 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, - I am in awe. Fabric folding is such fun :-)

Tami @ Lemon Tree Tales said...

Awesome! I know exactly what you mean about the fabric folding. I've been somewhat obsessed with a different folded flower block. It's shown up in several quilts and projects so far. LOL

Kerri said...

oh, my!! this is such a beautiful work of art!!

Millie said...

Wow! This is a knockout!

Carol E. said...

This is one of my absolute faves! Gorgeous!

Zonnah said...

Oh man, I am in love! This is stunning!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
kangaroo said...

i am BLOWN AWAY by this. just gorgeous.

Helen said...

Oh Wow!!!! How cool is this! Love it!

Kris said...

This is a really great quilt!!

Anonymous said...

This is absolutely awesome!!!

Tacha said...

This makes me want to have a go at fabric folding.

Andrea said...

I love the texture, it creates so much more depth to the quilt colours!

Jocelyn said...

Absolutely beautiful. I went to Paducah last year for the first time. Wish we could join your mom in her little quilt retreat :-) I still have kits from last year that I have not started.

stitchinpenny said...

Origami-like piecing and beautiful colors. agreat combination and a great quilt.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I am inspired try try some fabric folding. Is there any book or pattern you recommend?

Quilt Rat said...

This is absolutely terrific! Love it everything about it, great job!

Lisa said...

WHAT!!?? Someone else puts sequins on quilts?? (So do I- I have a drawer full all sorted into little jars and bags.) Too cool!

I love this quilt! Now I have to check out the rest of your blog.

Judy Alexander said...

Great colors and I love the design. Are the fabrics hand dyes? I am in Marietta GA so not far from you.

Emma said...

I love your quilt1 I had a go at the pleats once, and failed dismally!

Unknown said...

Stunning! I love love all the beautiful colors. I can't even begin to imagine how to fold fabric to get it to looks so beautiful like that! Amazing - thank you for sharing :)

hetty said...

Beautiful! Great colours. I've never tried paper folding. Think I will have to look into this!

Anonymous said...

Holy smokes! What a great piece of art.

Andi said...

Absolutely stunning and so clever!!!

2ndAvenueStudio-Rachel said...

crazy awesome! I can see why its your favorite!

Jody Sanders said...

Wow! That is absolutely beautiful!

Kelli said...

Unique and BEATUTIFUL!

Mary P said...

I love it--this is gorgeous. I have been wanting to try some fabric folding for awhile--I just might have to finally give it a shot.

Lee D said...

This is a piece of art. A Show stopper. I had never heard of fabric folding...now you have peaked my curiosity.

SaraVictorious said...

Wow, I absolutely love this! I'm amazed at what depth and beauty you created with the fabric folding!

Simona said...

Beautiful quilt I like it!

Terri Stegmiller said...

Wow! I love all the fabric folded pieces in this. Awesome!

Sandra said...

What an interesting quilt, I love the folding and how the colors travel around in a spiral.
Come see my favorites
#210 Sandra Starley -funky petroglyph quilt
#215 Utah Quilt Appraiser-civil war era red & green quilts

Janet Brady said...

I made a quilt a few years ago with these techniques and it was the one I was most proud of until I did my Quiltmaker's Gift quilt that I put in this Quilt Festival. I love the tucked border. That was one technique that I loved but didn't use. I was also obsessed with this folding for about 6 months. Thanks for sharing.

Lisa D. said...

Very unique and beautiful!

Janet Hartje said...

Gorgeous colors!

Dionne said...

This is a BEAUTIFUL quilt! You are very skilled and I am now adding a new skill to my list of things that I want to learn!
Cheers,
Dionne

connie said...

Oh, my this is incredible. I love the colors and then there is the folded fabric. You did an amazing job.

Gayle Bong said...

No wonder it's your favorite. the colors are outstanding and the memories of the fun you had folding the fabric will not be soon forgotten. I wouldn't mind adding one of those blocks to my orphan block pile. thanks for sharing.