Monday, July 12, 2010

A Scarf By Many Names


I definitely had a "look something shiny" moment in the yarn store last week with my mom, the culprit is a scarf that can't even decide what it is called.  The free pattern I got from the yarn shop says "rotini scarf"  or "potato chip" scarf, but a search in ravelry reveals scarves of those names that are not the same pattern as this one (the scarves by those names are cast on at the edge and knit sideways, or else they are crochet).  A search for ruffle scarves reveals wayyyyy too many scarf patterns to look through, but I came closest to a similar pattern when I found one called a "corkscrew" scarf.  The pattern is so ridiculously simple and was free with yarn, so I will put it at the end of this post. 


Back to the point, this scarf is completely addictive, and when knit with Noro yarn is downright entrancing.  The pattern is short, easily memorized and watching the scarf swirl as you knit is cackle inducing (just ask my husband).  I tried to not cast on for it until I finished at least one of Melissa's socks, however resistance was futile.  I should just admit that there's no going back until it is complete, at the rate I am going I'll get it done in a week or two and then can get back to the socks.



Corkscrew/Rotini/Potato Chip Scarf Pattern

(edits added for clarification, based on some questions)

Size 8 or 9 needles
Any medium weight yarn will do, I highly suggest a non-scratchy noro for color fun.

Cast on 20 stitches
Knit 8 - turn (turn your work as if you were at the end of a row, but you aren't)
Knit 8 back (knit back along the first 8 stitches you knit in previous row)
Knit 6 - turn (turn your work as if you were at the end of a row, but you aren't)
Knit 6 back (knit back along the 6 stitches you knit in previous row)
Knit 4 - turn (turn your work as if you were at the end of a row, but you aren't)

Knit 4 back (knit back along the 4 stitches you knit in previous row)

Knit 20 (ignore your short rows and just knit straight across the whole 20 stitches)

start over with the knit 8 row - that's it, just keep going to desired length and bind off!
(it takes a good 6 inches into the scarf before it starts to "corkscrew")


Video directions now posted here!

28 comments:

Kathy Bridges said...

You are going gangbusters. I am a little slower as I am doing TWO!
Great photos.

MelissaS said...

So awesomely cute!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Kate - I'm now addicted to this silly pattern. Appreciate it, as if I don't have enough other things to do. - Audrey

Kate said...

Oh Audrey, I love involving others in my addiction! Upon further review of the pattern I figured out that there are a few rows of trickyness at the end, I will update my post to include these so you are able to bind off :)

Anonymous said...

This looks like the same pattern I got at a knitting store near my house for free. I have a question, though. The lady @ store told me when I get to the end of row, where it says turn, to knit into the row I just made. I can't get it to look right though, not sure if I'm doing it correct. Any suggestions?

Anonymous said...

Just needed to add, knit 8 back, how is this dif. than just turning and knitting onto the opposite needle. I'm prob. making more out of this, just got me a little confused

Kate said...

Yes, when you turn you just knit back along the stitches you just made. The most important thing to realize is that it does not begin to spiral until you have knit about six inches!

Anonymous said...

How much yarn do you use?

Unknown said...

So how do you finish this? I'm almost done with mine, goes very quick.

Kate said...

Hi Debi! My mom has now made three of these, and she just goes to the desired length and binds off after knitting across the whole twenty stitches. Sadly, I had to pause mine while I finished up my Christmas knitting, but I will be back to it soon. What yarn did you use?

Unknown said...

I had been looking for a ruffle scarf for a long time and this one is the simplest and most fun to do. I can see myself making lots of these as presents. Thanks so much for posting it. The pictures are great too.

Siew Yee

Unknown said...

I am trying to get this scarf started. But following the directions, I have short rows on both sides of the scarf. Can this be correct. Or should all of the short rows be on one side?

Kate said...

Hi Joanne! I recorded my video and I'm gong to get it posted this evening, hopefully it will clarify the short rows for everyone!

Martha said...

Kate, I'm not quite sure whether I should thank you or curse you. :) Someone in my knitting group is knitting something similar, and I was intrigued, so went looking for a pattern, which led me here. That's where the thanks comes in. The cursing part comes in because I already have three other scarves in progress, and yet I can't.stop.knitting.this.one.

So...thanks! *shakes fist*

Kate said...

Haha, I TOTALLY understand Martha, I curse the cleverness of other knitters all the time! Don't worry, all your friends and family will love their rotini scarves :).

I am an athlete, therefore I am sports. said...

Thank you, this is great! My mom had given me the pattern and I tried before, but when I saw that it just kept forming the two triangles I thought I was going to striangulate it, and gave up. Now I realize (on my own of course, nothing to do with you and your wonderful explanations lol) that I have to be....p-a-t-i-e-n-t....can't wait to see it start spiraling. Thanks!

momluvs4kidz2000 said...

the comment by "no I don't need a haircut" was actually crazy me; apparently my son never logged out, sorry!

Kate said...

Oh I'm glad you are trying again, there were many squeals of glee around here when mine finally started to spiral, it's big fun for us geeky knitters :)

JoAnna said...

i am so excited i just found this pattern. i saw a woman wearing this for the first time tonight and it looked so great and seems so simple. thanks for posting it, i can't wait to get started!!

Mondeskind said...

I have made two of these as Christmas gifts. So beautiful and easy! Thank you!

Unknown said...

I love this scarf as well. And it is indeed addictive.

Spinneretta said...

Love that simple pattern- this looks so gorgeous in that yarn!

Dinkyflowerpots said...

Hi!

I have recently started knitting one of these scarves myself. I found your blog whilst on a search for other varieties of this pattern and your scarf is so much better using the Noro yarn - the colours are fab.

If it is ok, I have added a link to your page in my latest blog post so that people can see the finished item. (If you would prefer me not to do this I will remove it, no problem).

Your lovely scarf has shown me that I definitely need to get some Noro yarn!

Bev

Unknown said...

You know...I was laughing about people cheering when the spiral started.


My spiral just started and I started yelling "yeah!!"


I love this!!!

Anonymous said...

Love, love, love this scarf! It's my "go to" pattern when I need something quick & easy. An alternative that I use to finishing by binding off 20 is to instead do the last k4, then bind off 10, k10, and bind off the remaining 10. That way, it looks forked at both ends. :)

Anonymous said...

Love, love, love this scarf! It's my "go to" pattern when I need something quick & easy. An alternative that I use to finishing by binding off 20 is to instead do the last k4, then bind off 10, k10, and bind off the remaining 10. That way, it looks forked at both ends. :)

Unknown said...

This is the most amazing pattern. I'm over half way done and it is turning out so good.

Anonymous said...

I agree completely with the suggestion made by "Anonymous" in 2016: "An alternative that I use to finishing by binding off 20, is to instead do the last k4, then bind off 10, k10, and bind off the remaining 10. That way it looks forked at both ends". This creates an excellent result!